collapse
Site Introduction

From the Shadows is a military/spy themed sandbox RP that focuses on the special operations and intelligence communities. Drawing thematic inspiration from real world sources and realistic military fiction (Tom Clancy, Dalton Fury, et al) it is designed to provide an immersive and authentic feeling world and story. Our goal is to be entertaining and engaging while still honoring and respecting the real-life operators and agents who inspire the story.

Rules
Unit List
Active Teams

Want Ads
Face Claims
References

Mature board || No WC || Authentic Setting

Story Spotlight:

Urgent Mercy A coalition force of special operations comes into contact with the cartel and corrupt Argentine Special Forces while trying to rescue a downed friendly pilot.

Author Topic: South Africa Op ideas  (Read 195 times)

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
South Africa Op ideas
« on: May 14, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
I'm typing from my phone, but wondering with the  new players - thought it would be cool to set up an operation set in South Africa and then working our way up into Central Africa. Probably small conflicts, allowing peeps to throw in a couple of characters that have not been able to hop on the bandwagon in Op Urgent Mercy :)

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa Op ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »
So, as far as South Africa goes, I have something. It's from a scenario set around 03 from the game The Operational Art of War (good game, nice way to see how battles on every level works, it's SUPER simple).

At any rate, Zimbabwe is in the worst possible way right now, their own finance minister just went on record as saying they have literally nothing. South Africa, ever since Nelson Mandela's administration, has tried to help them.  They have mediated numerous disputes for them, so it makes sense that with South Africa's growing economy, they would want to share the wealth.

So, the background here would be that South Africa has put together a generous aid package, with help from the Commonwealth of Nations and United Nations, to help the failing Zimbabwe, with the hope that if it comes from South Africa, the powers that be in Hare will accept it. But the South African Parliament has tied a request; they want Zimbabwe to start taking steps to improving their human rights situation. They are not specifying how or when, just that something needs to go forward.

And the spark for the power keg is provided. Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe's dictator, has decried the terms as an effort by South Africa to impose the will of "imperialist powers" onto the people of Zimbabwe. As a good faith measure, South Africa authorized work on a railway line on the border to start improving the rails, footing the bill entirely. However, the work stopped within a few weeks, after armed personnel harassed work crews. There were disputes if they were armed militia or Zimbabwe military, but to be on the safe side, the South African Army was mobilized.

The 44th Parachute Regiment was moved to Musina, in the Musina Nature Reserve, but this only served to inflame issues. When work was resumed, the work crews were fired upon, with several civilians killed. 3rd Parachute Battalion scrambled troops to respond, and a skirmish broke out on the bridge spanning the Limpopo River. Unfortunately, this only served to muddle issues with the situation, with the Zimbabwean delegates going to the UN with reports of the South Africans starting the shooting.

However, while the media was tangled up with the blame game, especially with the issues facing President Jacob Zuma, a new angle appeared. A truck was stopped in a routine border check in Zambia, where it was found full of munitions bound for Zimbabwe. The driver committed suicide while in custody, but the weapons were seized regardless.

With this, President Zuma appealed to the Commonwealth of Nations for support to contain the situation. Military support has been considered, but conflicts in South America brewing, as well as several members being unwilling to resort to invasion. The South African delegation agreed to that much, but did accept that something had to be done, especially with growing concerns that the Zimbabwean government is not doing this on their own. Special Operations and Intelligence operations have been approved, and American involvement is being considered.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, so...this was lengthy, so. Thoughts?

Offline Ghost0109

• Technical Advisor
  • Fresh mags, and more rum for the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 10:15:11 PM »
You could also end up getting Boko Haram involved somehow as well. Wouldn't be too farfetched, given the scenario you've spelled out... ad some hardcore extremists to the mix.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:20:37 PM by Ghost0109 »

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »
Yes! I really do love this idea :)

Boko Haram definitely could be another point - as it's still an on-going conflict, and thus could have the possibility of running into them.

I was wondering - alongside this idea, maybe we could have a thread or an opening in which they are all preparing for their next mission/deployment before the actual mission starts? I don't know whether it'd be any fun but it's worth for character building and such?

Maybe?

Offline Ghost0109

• Technical Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 11:22:41 PM »
I do love character development. Just gotta make sure it flows properly.

This will be thebfirst operation we're actually putting a solid plan and train of thought into

Urgent mercy was  of shotgunned shotguns and we poured all of the resources into it, so with this one we need to focus on force projection and make sure this one doesn't get saturated.

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:37:01 PM »
Definitely agree with you on this one.

Probably maybe have a limit on who's inserted in the main thread and those involved in the action elsewhere? Might sounds harsh but I think it would allow for others to join/ make other plts around the world?

Offline Ghost0109

• Technical Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »
Maybe not so much limit but designate AO's or something.

Because with what we've got in Argentina...we can roll that place pretty easily.

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 03:19:04 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was going with at the end there, to try to cut things back so we're not basically "rofflestomping" everywhere we go.

Offline MarstheOddball

• The Oddball
  • I am... the crazy Canadian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 06:06:27 AM »
I think there would also be a number of other South African nations wishing to help in peacekeeping operations or to just help keep up with commitments to their South African Ally. One such nation being Namibia, they may have a small force of 15000 soldiers, but they're a modern army, who are supplied by NATO military equipment wise, plus they're also a fair bit closer overall given their current position. So you can count their Navy, SOG, and Regular Army units will move in to help where needed.

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »
That is true, and other Africa Union forces, but again, the idea here is to not just make another scenario where we just steamroll the OPFOR because we can.

* Awards

RPG-D MC #130 - 2nd Place

* Forum Staff

Tactical Operations Center admin Tactical Operations Center
Board Staff
E.J. admin E.J.
Board Staff
Thaddeus admin Thaddeus
Board Staff
Mim admin Mim
Board Staff
Ghost0109 gmod Ghost0109