collapse
Site Introduction

From the Shadows is a military/spy themed sandbox RP that focuses on the special operations and intelligence communities. Drawing thematic inspiration from real world sources and realistic military fiction (Tom Clancy, Dalton Fury, et al) it is designed to provide an immersive and authentic feeling world and story. Our goal is to be entertaining and engaging while still honoring and respecting the real-life operators and agents who inspire the story.

Rules
Unit List
Active Teams

Want Ads
Face Claims
References

Mature board || No WC || Authentic Setting

Story Spotlight:

Urgent Mercy A coalition force of special operations comes into contact with the cartel and corrupt Argentine Special Forces while trying to rescue a downed friendly pilot.

Author Topic: Damsel in Distress  (Read 352 times)

Offline Cate MacGregor

• Squadron Leader-RAAF
    • View Profile
Damsel in Distress
« on: April 27, 2017, 01:17:17 AM »
 Talking with EJ the other day about our first possible mission, so some feed back on this would be appreciated .

Cate will be attached to a US fighter unit (187th FS) operating out of Bagram Airfield (she is an exchange pilot). On a fairly routine bombing mission over Tali territory high in the mountains her F16 experiences a severe flame out from which she cannot restart. She will be forced to either eject or hard land, either way she will be in enemy territory. The concept of this mission will be who gets to her first (Terry Tali will) and if she survives, who will rescue her.

Thoughts?  :sam3 :sam2

'Duty is heavy as a mountain, death is light as a feather.'

Offline James Hendricks

• U.S. Army CAG/1st SFOD-DELTA
  • E-8 (Master Sergeant)
    • View Profile
Re: Damsel in Distress
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:23:36 AM »
I like it. The 'Stan would be a familiar place for a lot of the characters involved. Sully(James) has been there a couple of times, haha.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:35:48 AM by James Hendricks »

Offline Cate MacGregor

• Squadron Leader-RAAF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 06:42:03 AM »
 That's great, we could get this rolling in the next day or so. It will look better for advertising to if it looks like we've made the effort to get started  :sam2

Offline Alastair Lansbury

• Sergeant - SBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 07:11:40 PM »
Definitely will be throwing Al into it :)

Offline Ghost0109

• Technical Advisor
  • Fresh mags, and more rum for the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »
Ooooh I'm down with this. I can do AFO things and set to spring board. What kind of assets are we talking about having here?

Offline Alastair Lansbury

• Sergeant - SBS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 08:17:04 PM »
My worry would be that maybe it can become quite non-inclusive as if a pilot had gone down, it probably would need maybe two units sent out? Unless maybe if she does get taken by the Tali, could discover that there are more hostages - therefore may need more people to tackle the situation.

Just my thinking anyway, feel free to disagree.

Offline E.J.

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:39:08 PM »
Suggestion:

Move this from Afghanistan to either Iran, Syria, or North Korea, set it during a large scale invasion of the country.

Offline Mim

• Bow before your Goddess
  • Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
    • Lost Worlds Sci-fi and Fantasy Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:11:10 PM »
 Syria would be the preferred action I think. Doing NK would have to be something that would need a lot of planning and a lot of input from several nations (players), so that's something we could keep for the future. With Syria there is so much we could advance on from current events, plus an awful lot of different elements we can deploy. Iran is sort of meh at the moment other than it backing elements of ISIS, there isn't much we could get out of it. Another option would be Somalia, as that looks like a repeat of years ago very soon.

But here is a twist, we could bring NK in another way. Let's say that a/ Cate does get caught while they are looking for her. b/ Tali goes on telly as they do, the usual threatening stuff with Cate in frame bruises yada yada- the Tali want 100 of theirs released in exchange for Cate but of course we know they're all BS. .....c/ the NK see her on the teev, they offer the Tali several million bucks for her, the allies pick up the conversation...now we have something really frikking exciting....maybe :sam1 :lol
"The stars are no barrier for me."

Offline Mim

• Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
My worry would be that maybe it can become quite non-inclusive as if a pilot had gone down, it probably would need maybe two units sent out? Unless maybe if she does get taken by the Tali, could discover that there are more hostages - therefore may need more people to tackle the situation.

Just my thinking anyway, feel free to disagree.

I think in 08 when one marine was taken near Kabul, they had US, Brits, Canadians and Aussies looking for him. We tend to take this stuff very seriously these days.

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 09:15:20 PM »
@Mim - Yeah, I guess, so...

How about Sierra Leone?

If we're going for the whole cartel/ group thing. It's a place of conflict...

But I'm down for whatever you folks want.

Offline Mim

• Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 09:25:47 PM »
 Would the US (or NATO) be doing bombing runs there? Do we have say a reason to invade, even if we make it up? :) I'm up for any country really, so long as its possible to do the basic concept.

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 09:32:28 PM »
Would the US (or NATO) be doing bombing runs there? Do we have say a reason to invade, even if we make it up? :) I'm up for any country really, so long as its possible to do the basic concept.

Yeah, true. Syria seems a more viable option.

Offline Ghost0109

• Technical Advisor
  • Fresh mags, and more rum for the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »
When it comes down to active military air strikes, yeah keep it I bc the middle east for now. Unless someone is flying am Intel mission. Then that's a different story.

Offline Cate MacGregor

• Squadron Leader-RAAF
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 10:43:18 PM »
 I agree :D  :sam2 :CH :thb

Offline E.J.

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Staff
    • View Profile