collapse
Site Introduction

From the Shadows is a military/spy themed sandbox RP that focuses on the special operations and intelligence communities. Drawing thematic inspiration from real world sources and realistic military fiction (Tom Clancy, Dalton Fury, et al) it is designed to provide an immersive and authentic feeling world and story. Our goal is to be entertaining and engaging while still honoring and respecting the real-life operators and agents who inspire the story.

Rules
Unit List
Active Teams

Want Ads
Face Claims
References

Mature board || No WC || Authentic Setting

Story Spotlight:

Urgent Mercy A coalition force of special operations comes into contact with the cartel and corrupt Argentine Special Forces while trying to rescue a downed friendly pilot.

Author Topic: Playlists!  (Read 147 times)

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
    • View Profile
Playlists!
« on: May 19, 2017, 05:20:16 AM »
So, I'm kind of curious, if for no other reason than maybe we can share what we like to rock out to. What do you favor listening to, as far as music goes. Since I'm throwing up the thread, I'll start.

I'm mainly rock and roll, but I'm also all over the damn place sometimes. Top of my list, though, is Sabaton. They're a Swedish metal band, but they favor doing their songs on historical battles, war heroes, that sort of thing. They cover the gambit of subjects and eras, though they largely hover around World War Two, and I tend to find I learn new things when I listen to them because I want to learn about what inspired a song if I don't pick up on it. I mean, I learned more about the rise and fall of the Swedish Empire during the Thirty Years War from their Carlous Rex album than I did in school. I'd totally recommend giving them a listen.

Past that, it's all over. My Pandora feed is proof of that enough. Sabaton, AC/DC, Metallica, Theory of a Dead Man, Avenged Sevenfold, Icon For Hire, Digital Daggers, Rammstein, Eisbreicher, and the list goes on and all over. The radio stations up here are pretty limited, I stopped listening to Country back in the 90s so I don't do that, and I'm not a huge fan of stuff related to rap or pop (although I did listen to some Russian stuff that was from the GTA IV Eastern European station).

Sometimes when I'm writing, I'll listen to soundtracks from certain games. Mainly the Command and Conquer series, as well as anything from Ace Combat 4, 5, 6, Zero and Assault Horizon (honestly, if you want to check it out, just pull Ace Combat Infinity's sound track, it's like a greatest hits, but so was that game). Sometimes I go to a couple of the Call of Duty games, Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 1&2 had good tracks, Splinter Cell Conviction, and I used to do the Half Life tracks.

But anyways, that's what I listen to. Who's next?  :yes

Offline Mim

• Bow before your Goddess
  • Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
    • Lost Worlds Sci-fi and Fantasy Forum
Re: Playlists!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:21:56 AM »
I was forced into child labor as a kid..read learning classical music.  :lol But it gave me a solid grounding music appreciation which I am grateful for. My tastes vary from old school rock and roll which I adore because my sisters and I went to dancing school and that was the first thing we learned and I was hooked on it. Both my parents are musical, they even had their own country band in the 70's and 80's, so that is really the top of my list; after that I can relax with Jazz or classical, I love the big bands of the 40's now as I am just getting into jive and I am really really into bands like AC/DC :D

My fav artists?

Country: Johnny Cash (0f course), Patsy Cline, George Straight, Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn and few Aussies.

R&R: Chuck Berry, the Stones, Eagles, Manfred Man, The Hollies, Elvis, The Doors, Eric Clapton, The Easybeats, soooo many  <3 oh and I adore Motown and Jimi Hendrix

Hubby and I bought a 1963 Rockolla Juke box which my Dad restored for us. We have over 4,000 45 rpm discs :D
"The stars are no barrier for me."

Offline Robert Henschel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
I've always been a country girl myself.  George Strait was my all time favorite with Reba not far behind.  I also like Lady Antebellum, Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban.

Bryan Adams is my go to for rock and roll.

Offline Mim

• Bow before your Goddess
  • Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
    • Lost Worlds Sci-fi and Fantasy Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
So I been thinking about our characters and what they would be listening to.

Cate, when she is battle ready:

Trish:

Sam Carter:

:sam3
"The stars are no barrier for me."

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:01:14 AM »
I used to be into country, but I kind of stopped after around 2002-ish. I think what did it for me was everyone in Arizona having to constantly play those post-9/11 patriotic songs all the friggin time. It's an easy way to get turned off by something by way of over-saturation. So it's more of the older ones. Obviously Johnny Cash is a favorite, but I grew up with George Strait, Reba, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson and so on, so those are closer to what I prefer.

I have to admit though that my like of more metal rock and roll has a limit. In short, I cannot STAND the stuff where the lyrics are all growling and whatnot and occasionally actually saying one or two words clearly. If I can't understand the lyrics, then I'm out. Plus there are times that when my Pandora feed puts on Dragonforce that I have to tab back over to it like, "Are you still going on? NEXT!", so I can be finicky at times.

I kind of like the old stuff, though. My only exposure to it, though, is the Fallout radio songs. Personally, I think New Vegas got the theme down pat, with way old school country and then the Vegas personalities like Dean Martin. In fact, I have a tie-in to that.

So, I've gotten into going to Wasteland-themed festivals around this area, and I had already attempted to cosplay as an NCR Ranger Veteran (the guy from the cover box art of Fallout New Vegas). Obviously, unlike cons, you need to show up to these things with your stuff weathered, and that included my props. I have this airsoft gas revolver that I didn't know what to do after I buried it for a week, and taking my inspiration from the old country song "Big Iron", I took knife and carved notches into the barrel ("The notches on his pistol numbered from one to ninety four.") and then on the top of the barrel, in the groove between the front and rear sights, I carved in "Big Iron".

* Awards

RPG-D MC #130 - 2nd Place

* Forum Staff

Tactical Operations Center admin Tactical Operations Center
Board Staff
E.J. admin E.J.
Board Staff
Thaddeus admin Thaddeus
Board Staff
Mim admin Mim
Board Staff
Ghost0109 gmod Ghost0109