collapse
Site Introduction

From the Shadows is a military/spy themed sandbox RP that focuses on the special operations and intelligence communities. Drawing thematic inspiration from real world sources and realistic military fiction (Tom Clancy, Dalton Fury, et al) it is designed to provide an immersive and authentic feeling world and story. Our goal is to be entertaining and engaging while still honoring and respecting the real-life operators and agents who inspire the story.

Rules
Unit List
Active Teams

Want Ads
Face Claims
References

Mature board || No WC || Authentic Setting

Story Spotlight:

Urgent Mercy A coalition force of special operations comes into contact with the cartel and corrupt Argentine Special Forces while trying to rescue a downed friendly pilot.

Author Topic: Voyage of the Damned  (Read 374 times)

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
Voyage of the Damned
« on: April 30, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
Calling all water-loving land lubbers, or just land-lubbers who want to get some action! Or anyone who wants to make a splashy entrance, really.

I had a couple ideas cooking in the oven over lunch time regarding some potential missions:

• Hostage Rescue and Recovery (HRR) of those on a cruiseliner, which could be pretty interesting as it's large scale and would require the help of a couple units. The group could be a couple of pirates or mercenaries that are holding it for a larger group which then could expand the playing field?
  • Foreign Humanitarian Assistance (FHA) in a LDC, which is more probably a slow burner type of operation but still nonetheless important work.

Whichever one tickles your fancy, I'm down for discussing.

:cam1

Offline E.J.

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Voyage of the Damned
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
I like the idea of a cruise liner being taken. We could easily add that in to our current series in Argentina, as some liners have their port in Rio.

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:20 PM »
I like the idea of a cruise liner being taken. We could easily add that in to our current series in Argentina, as some liners have their port in Rio.

That sounds good to me, though I was thinking to get some other forums filled up  ;) But, I would not mind if it was part of the same series, adds more depth to it.

Offline Robert Henschel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:58:54 PM »
The cruise liner sounds fun

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 11:14:16 PM »
So, general consensus seems to be the cruiseliner  :CH

I guess what's next is deciding how big this cruiseliner is exactly - how long the journey's going to be and whatnot. Being it a one month/ two month/ etc. cruise would mean that the vessel's going to be pretty huge and the OPFOR going to be numerous.

Of course, the OPFOR could have blended in initially with the crew and such, meaning nothing seemed out of the ordinary for a couple of weeks as they did their recon of the passengers. Maybe they've taken the whole ship hostage just for a couple of VIP/ HVTs?

Offline Robert Henschel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 11:49:29 PM »
What if one of the crew they thought was a good guy was working with the ones who take over the ship?  Yeah I would agree they would probably only be after one or two people

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me ! They'd take them hostage covering the fact that it's only  key people they are after - thus making the SF play chess with a winning opponent sort of situation

Offline E.J.

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:50:13 AM »
I like the idea of that, and it's the most likely scenario. This would be a perfect op for DevGru, SBS, and what not. I may have to get my DevGru operator up ASAP! lol

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 10:35:17 PM »
Probably should throw up a sign-up for that.

Maybe it doesn't have to be in the same location, as the troops could be re-routed for the second phase later on?

Offline Mim

• Bow before your Goddess
  • Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
    • Lost Worlds Sci-fi and Fantasy Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:17:08 AM »
oh boy this is handy. Cruise liner doing the Antarctic thing, passes south of the Falklands......  :sam3 :J :sam2 :yes
"The stars are no barrier for me."

Offline sorra

• 'Cobra 3'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 01:03:51 AM »
I so want in on this one!  It sounds like great fun.  Maybe one of the hostages isn't as helpless as they seem

Offline E.J.

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 01:16:22 AM »
I can get a sign up for sure. I think it makes sense that the cartel starts trying to put more leverage on the world to recognize them, and taking the cruise liner would do that. "Don't send these cruises without recognizing us" or something.

Offline Mim

• Bow before your Goddess
  • Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
    • Lost Worlds Sci-fi and Fantasy Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 01:26:20 AM »
 There is generally three or for cruise liners heading to Antarctica each week. May is the cut off time when they stop, starting again in late September. Ports of boarding can be Southampton, then via the Azores and Bermuda, or Peurto Rico. Aukland NZ, Sydney, or Capetown in SA. I'd say having one leaving Bermuda would be an ideal opportunity to have Cartel members board, even more so if it stops off in Havana.
"The stars are no barrier for me."

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 02:33:02 AM »
They could trickle on at the various ports if they have more discrete members that aren't on law enforcement's radar. The ones who board earlier could have been scouts, making contact with the crew and generally making sure that extra security isn't in play or there are any changes in plans. What they do after the hijacking is up in the air, either they joined the chaos or they're playing hostage as a "Plan B" in case the ship gets boarded.

Offline Robert Henschel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »
working on thinking of a character that would either be one of the rescuers or maybe one who is on the cruiseliner  :D  Anyone have suggestions or ideas?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:35:44 PM by Robert Henschel »

* Awards

RPG-D MC #130 - 2nd Place

* Forum Staff

Tactical Operations Center admin Tactical Operations Center
Board Staff
E.J. admin E.J.
Board Staff
Thaddeus admin Thaddeus
Board Staff
Mim admin Mim
Board Staff