collapse
Site Introduction

From the Shadows is a military/spy themed sandbox RP that focuses on the special operations and intelligence communities. Drawing thematic inspiration from real world sources and realistic military fiction (Tom Clancy, Dalton Fury, et al) it is designed to provide an immersive and authentic feeling world and story. Our goal is to be entertaining and engaging while still honoring and respecting the real-life operators and agents who inspire the story.

Rules
Unit List
Active Teams

Want Ads
Face Claims
References

Mature board || No WC || Authentic Setting

Story Spotlight:

Urgent Mercy A coalition force of special operations comes into contact with the cartel and corrupt Argentine Special Forces while trying to rescue a downed friendly pilot.

Author Topic: The Venezuelan Connection  (Read 321 times)

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
    • View Profile
The Venezuelan Connection
« on: May 03, 2017, 03:16:09 AM »
Doing this on my phone so brace yourselves.

So, doing just a cursory glance at the Argentine military has revealed that they're in bad shape. Economic issues have shelved or delayed every project. Their current state is not unknown to the Cartel, they have no chance to stand against NATO, the absolute best is to draw the war out OIF style.

But one of them got an idea to even the score, give them the means to really bleed the invasion until public opinion turns on it. Venezuela has been in economic free fall and that's given the Cartel a chance to buy up stocks of current generation Russian hardware, as well as the personnel who can use it or train others on it.

The trouble is shipping. The US will interdict shipping coming into Argentine ports soon, and airlift is equally perilous. But, plata o pluma might buy land passage through Brazil.

The CIA and MI6 are going to want agents in the field and SOF teams from the military to stop this from happening. However, Russia will also, separately, want to stop this, since the media fallout could harm Russia despite having no interest in backing the Cartel's adventure. So they're going to have a separate op to clean this mess up.

This is a good avenue for more covert action, but shooters will still be needed, of course.

So, who wants to see where this rabbit hole goes?

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: The Venezuelan Connection
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:24:36 AM »
Just to give an idea of what would be on their shopping list...

Su-30 Flanker
Mi-35 Hind
BMP-3 IFV
T-72B1V
S-300 SAM
Buk-M1 SAM
AMX-30
SA-24 MANPADS
....and more!

Offline Scott M. Powers

• Captain
  • US Army Special Forces
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:38 AM »
Once the bio's approved, I think this could be a fun place to start.
Scott M. Powers
Captain, USASFC
Team Leader, ODA 3333

Offline Mim

• Bow before your Goddess
  • Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
    • Lost Worlds Sci-fi and Fantasy Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »
 I have a CIA agent up my sleeve  :{=

Spoiler: show
"The stars are no barrier for me."

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:20 AM »
I'll take on an SVR agent and Vympel Group AFO. "Nobody But Us."  :D Always open to others to join in.

I think this can have multiple angles, just like things in Argentina are now.

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
Definitely.

Offline sorra

• 'Cobra 3'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »
sounds intriguing

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »
So a couple of angles I thought of at work.

1 - The source: While there are plenty of soldiers and airmen in the Venezuelan Military simply looking to take bribes to feed their families or move them out of the country, the bigger issue is the top brass who simply want to live the good life. Some may genuinely care about their troops, reluctantly taking the Cartel's money because with plata o pluma, the only other option is that the Cartel slaughters their family, slowly. But others, the Cartel's money spends as good as anyone else's, and they'll keep every penny for themselves to prop up living the good life while their countrymen starve. Both are a threat. For the reluctant ones, threats won't work, so finding out a way to spare them the Cartel's wrath while keeping their equipment in Venezuela will be a challenge. The latter ones, stopping them and ensuring the deal never goes through is more direct.

2 - The border: Obviously, the Brazilian government isn't going to just open their borders. They're already on edge for militant factions or refugees daring to make the attempt to cross over from Venezuela. But the Cartel is willing to grease the wheels in the government and border guards to ensure that their merchandise makes it in and out of the country without NATO interference. Corruption will play a part, as will those intimidated into playing along.

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »
I'd like to start up a sign up for this, see what kind of interest we have. I'll figure out how best to break it down once we've got people.

Larissa Koralova - Captain, SVR (Field Operative)
Mikhail Sokolov - Major, FSB, Vympel Group (AFO Team Lead) (I can run the team myself and fill it out later with additional players like other teams have been)

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
Seeing as there are still two squadrons that have not been deployed under Brody's command - I'll get them over to where the action is. Brody - however - is most likely not going to be around for such a deployment, so I'll most likely be NPCing the Brits.

Offline Scott M. Powers

• Captain
  • US Army Special Forces
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
As stated above, ODA 3333 will be deploying on this OP.
Scott M. Powers
Captain, USASFC
Team Leader, ODA 3333

Offline E.J.

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
DevGru AFO will be participating in this. It will give them a reason to get out of Port Stanely.

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 11:47:24 PM »
Right on. We'll need some NATO spooks on the ground then, but we should be getting closer to things.

If anyone has any plot ideas in or out of the 2 rough drafts I tossed up, I'm all ears.

Offline Thaddeus

• Board Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 12:53:56 AM »
What sort of NATO spooks you thinking?

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 01:47:41 AM »
Field agent types mainly, but SAD operator types wouldnt be amiss either.

* Awards

RPG-D MC #130 - 2nd Place

* Forum Staff

Tactical Operations Center admin Tactical Operations Center
Board Staff
E.J. admin E.J.
Board Staff
Thaddeus admin Thaddeus
Board Staff
Mim admin Mim
Board Staff
Ghost0109 gmod Ghost0109