collapse
Site Introduction

From the Shadows is a military/spy themed sandbox RP that focuses on the special operations and intelligence communities. Drawing thematic inspiration from real world sources and realistic military fiction (Tom Clancy, Dalton Fury, et al) it is designed to provide an immersive and authentic feeling world and story. Our goal is to be entertaining and engaging while still honoring and respecting the real-life operators and agents who inspire the story.

Rules
Unit List
Active Teams

Want Ads
Face Claims
References

Mature board || No WC || Authentic Setting

Story Spotlight:

Urgent Mercy A coalition force of special operations comes into contact with the cartel and corrupt Argentine Special Forces while trying to rescue a downed friendly pilot.

Author Topic: The hardware, all the stuff we use  (Read 284 times)

Offline Mim

• Bow before your Goddess
  • Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
    • Lost Worlds Sci-fi and Fantasy Forum
The hardware, all the stuff we use
« on: May 11, 2017, 06:13:55 AM »
I thought it would be good to see pics of all and everything that we might be using here, everything from the awesome wow factor to the mundane. Army, Navy, Air Force and the rest. Your favorite wish list toys .....which ain't just for the boys either  :P

So yeah I want one of these :D

"The stars are no barrier for me."

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
    • View Profile
Re: The hardware, all the stuff we use
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:02:54 AM »
Oh yeah, P90. Still amazing after all these years. I've seen some of the shops here with the PS90, the civilian version with the longer barrel and semi-auto only. Soo expensive but I'd get it.

I would love to get to go up in a Hornet one day.

If I had to say wishlist weapons...hmm. Shot an Uzi, MP5 and AK-74 in full auto, those were BA...I guess I'll do a one of each list here.

Pistol: This is actually nowhere near modern...

Mauser C96 Broomhandle - M712 Schnellfeuer variant. There's just something about the Mauser Broomhandle...
(Yeah, when BF1 came out, I was stoked just for the weapons list being all these lost turn of the century guns...)

SMG:

CZ Scorpion EVO. The Czechs usually are really good at making top notch firearms, and for some reason, I just love how the EVO looks. (And Mim already took the P90 :P)

AR:

AN-94. Yeah, it's complicated as hell, it's probably not super practical. But, on top of the fact I rather like the weird way it handles its firing modes, there's another reason.

This rifle was my jam in the STALKER games until the late game where I became a disciple of the Church of 9x39mm Soviet. GP-25 and PSO-1 scope, the AN-94 got me through so many rough spots.

MG:

Rheinmetall MG3. Take the ever famous MG42, update it, rechamber it in 7.62 NATO, but change nothing else. It's the same approach they took when they put Perfect Dark back on the XBox 360 after that horrible Perfect Dark Zero game.

Shotgun:

Saiga-12K. One day...

Sniper Rifle:

Barrett M98B. I can't explain why, I just like it. It's a Barrett, it's in .338 Lapua Magnum, and it looks cool to me.

Offline Mim

• Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 04:21:07 AM »
THIS!!!!! I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!  :yes

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »
Oh yeah, the F111 is awesome.

As far as planes go, obviously the Hornet, then the F15E Strike Eagle, MiG29, Su37, Rafale, F4 Phantom, F8 Crusader, and then the T50 PAK FA.

Offline Scott M. Powers

• Captain
  • US Army Special Forces
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »
I just want more Glocks....
Scott M. Powers
Captain, USASFC
Team Leader, ODA 3333

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:14:43 AM »
I could say the same, but...Smith & Wesson M&P. I like my 9mm with the night sights and threaded barrel (for cleaning devices, obviously. OBVIOUSLY!) and my dad has the M&P 40 Shield Performance Center model (daytime glow sights and ported). I'm not a huge fan of .40 S&W, and a gun that small would be brutal to use in .45 ACP, but if I had one in 9mm to go with my full sized as a regular carry piece, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

But in all honesty, I've shot my friend's Glock 17L, 19, and 42, and it's all just down to personal taste, because if I hadn't have gotten my M&P first, I'd have had a Glock by now.

As a fun fact, the M&P's first appearance in video games was in the game Alpha Protocol, Obsidian's attempt to make a spy thriller RPG in the same style as Mass Effect 1 (which unfortunately had too many glaring issues that saw it get some bad reviews, though many agree that the story was not one of the weaknesses.)

Offline Mim

• Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:17:22 PM »
I love those guns they use in Underworld

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »
If we're going famous here...hmm.

Agent 47's AMT Hardballers would be top of my list. I really want to get my hands on a pair of stainless 1911s and modify them to be firing replicas of his infamous "Silverballers" (since AMT went out of buisness ages ago and so their guns are pretty pricey nowadays). Agent 47 is, for those of you who don't know, the main character of the "Hitman" series, though the two movies do no justice to the way he's shown in the games.

Basically everything John Wick rocked in both of the John Wick movies. Too many to list, just go see both of them if you haven't already.

And I think next on my list would be the customized Five-Seven that Sam Fisher uses in the last two Splinter Cell games.

Offline Mim

• Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 04:45:05 AM »
 hard to tell without a pic :P

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 05:44:50 AM »
Oh yeah, you guys have the Tiger. I'm sure some Bond fans would remember that particular helo (and it's magical 180 degree turning Mistrals).

Anyone else here fans of tanks? I kind of got pulled in by World of Tanks (which I've since quit) but since then, I've gotten into them, mainly Main Battle Tanks. I'm still a fan of the newer Armored Warfare game because I prefer modern vehicles, though the older ones have a charm to them, mostly.

One in particular that I like is the British Chieftain. On the one hand, it had some of the best frontal armor of it's time, mounted a 120mm rifled gun while the rest of NATO was still using the famous L7 105mm rifled gun, so it had firepower and protection down. But it's also hilariously unreliable due to British over-engineering. The idea was to make the engine capable of running off of normal gasoline (or petrol or guzzoline, depending where you're from :P) or diesel, so as to make sure that regardless of who's supplies were closest (including the Soviets), the Chieftain would still run. And they pulled it off in such a complicated way that it reportedly took a full team of engineers 8 hours to convert the engine, and that according to reports from the British Army on the Rhine, the Chieftain tended to only wanted to turn over about...30% of the time.

It's like the tank version of an RPG player min/maxing. But also, back where I used to live, in Arizona, there's a diesel performance shop that my dad and I visited (he went to them to modify parts of his F-250 Super Duty), and they have an operational Chieftain Mk. X that they rent out to give rides in, and they used in an edition of Diesel Power Magazine (and I think also Hot Rod Magazine's web series Roadkill, either at the same time or again) to crush a Toyota Prius. Seriously, just look up tank crushing Prius, and if you see a white Prius being crushed by a tank in desert tan, that's the one.

Offline Mim

• Board Staff
  • Little Miss Trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 05:04:35 AM »
 okay okay I know we're not using these as its a little late, but God I swear so long as I live I will never tire of the sound of these two aircraft. I first heard a Mustang when I was 5 over in the US. I heard and saw the Spitfire 8 years ago at an air show in Melbourne with my dad. Both use the same engine.

Offline Cipherhornet18

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »
There used to be an air museum near where I lived growing up, my step-grandpa (at the time) worked there, and they had an operational P-51 that they gave rides in. Next door is a still active museum that has an operational B-17. Never got to go up in either, but ah well.

I can go on and on and on about aircraft. One time my dad, his girlfriend (at the time) and I went on base at NAS Fallon to the park they have with all manner of planes set up at it, and went on for hours about the various planes. Naturally, his girlfriend wanted to get the hell out of there, but he and I were oggling all of the planes. It's the first time I've ever gotten to see a MiG-29 up close (or at all in person, for that matter).

* Awards

RPG-D MC #130 - 2nd Place

* Forum Staff

Tactical Operations Center admin Tactical Operations Center
Board Staff
E.J. admin E.J.
Board Staff
Thaddeus admin Thaddeus
Board Staff
Mim admin Mim
Board Staff
Ghost0109 gmod Ghost0109